Statcounter

maandag 20 maart 2017

5 covers you need to hear

I'm a huge fan of covers, have been for a long time. It's a great way to see a different side of an artist and it's a great way to see what they are capable of outside of their own music. I've collected five of my favorites for you today. Now these aren't in any way my top five or anything, they're just a few that I really like. It's so hard for me to actually make a list, cause I can't choose what I like the best. It all depends on what I'm looking for at the moment. Take a look below to see which covers I picked for you.

Carrie Underwood - Paradise City


Carrie Underwood is known as a country singer to most people. But every once in a while she likes to rock out as well. And when she does, she does it well too. This cover of The Guns N' Roses classic Paradise City is one of many other classic rock covers she has done. As a Guns N' Roses fan I often don't like covers done by others, especially because Axl has such a unique voice. But Carrie's rendition of Paradise City is one that I absolutely love. She's got the voice and the energy to make the cover work. A definite case of "don't judge a book by it's cover", please check this out, because it's absolutely fantastic.

Fergie - Barracuda

Carrie Underwood isn't the only one who likes to rock out sometimes. Fergie might be an even more unlikely name you would expect to do a cover of a classic rock song. But she did, and it's not half bad either. I've always had mixed feelings about Fergie, cause she did a cover of Sweet Child O' Mine and it just didn't sound good. But her cover of Barracuda is far from that. The performance bit might be a bit over the top for some, but vocally it's amazing, especially the part with the one handed cartwheels is pretty impressive.

Little Mix - Holy Grail/Counting Stars/Smells Like Teen Spirit

That Little Mix were great singers was no news for me, but then you see this and you're amazed once again. The switch between the different songs seems effortless and fluid. The three chosen songs for this mash-up are not songs you would instantly combine, but that is what makes it so exciting. It all just blends together like it was supposed to be like this. Mad respect to the girls for doing this.

Joss Stone - Son of a Preacher Man

One singer that is super underrated in my opinion is Joss Stone. She is such a fantastic singer with a spectacular voice. This cover just proves it right away. She makes it seems so easy by walking around, but I guarantee you I could not do what she does. This cover is one of my all time favorites, I keep coming back to it. Every once in a while it pops up in my head and I have to play it again. Now the original by Dusty Springfield is actually quite a lot milder vocally than what Joss Stone is showing here. Through the years the song has evolved by it's countless covers and became a real belting song. Joss Stone manages to di it right though, not overdoing it and keeping it a pleasure for the ears.

One Direction - FourFiveSeconds

Now if you say One Direction I don't think this is what people automatically expect. But for their BBC Live Lounge performance  they stepped away from the usual and did a great cover of FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna, Kanye West and Paul McCartney. This cover is a great way of seeing One Direction in a different light in my opinion. It shows you that these boys can sing and can sing good as well. Highlight for me is Louis Tomlinson's (far right) part, his clear bright voice is perfectly suited for his part. These boys know their voice and they know what suits them and it shows in the distribution of each vocal. 

These were five of my favorite covers. I hope you enjoyed them. If you have any other recommendations please leave a comment below.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten